More than just a community hall.
On the 12th of October 1885, John Bright MP formally opened the Crispin Hall which was named after the patron saint of shoemakers. William Stephens Clark instructed the architect George J. Skipper to create this distinctive building to improve cultural facilities for the people of Street and the surrounding areas.
Over the years this site has housed a variety of uses: a museum for Jurassic fossils from Street’s quarries, a reading room, various shops and a youth club. In 1995, the old gymnasium to the rear of the hall was converted into the Crispin Community Centre. In 2018, the Crispin Hall was completely renovated and refurbished, funded by various grants - notably a generous donation from the estate of Nathan Clark - such that it continues to benefit our local community.
Please note that neither alcohol consumption nor gambling of any kind is permitted.
With a very high roof, excellent natural and electrical lighting, improved acoustics and a state-of-the art heating/ ventilation system, Crispin Hall is an excellent venue for all sorts of community, sporting, musical and dramatic events - even weddings. The renovated fully-sprung maplewood floor measures approx 17m x 11m (56' x 36').
We have a large well lit room that is used for running workshops. We can add or remove however many tables and chairs you would like, in any configuration. The room has an en suite toilet. Access requires climbing a few stairs.
Refreshments such tea/coffee etc plus cake are available as required.